Dave writes with a request. I figured local readers could help out, and suggest a cool destination or two:
I’m heading to BC for the first time at the end of September with my girlfriend (who’s from Abbotsford, but doesn’t know Vancouver well) and we’re looking to do some cool stuff in the big city. I’d be happy with an unqualified ‘Top Five’ list of things to see and do, or places to eat and drink. If you’re feeling industrious (or want to turn this into blog post fodder), I’d be eternally grateful for as much info as possible about all the cool places to check out.
I’m thinking Dave can probably find the standard Vancouver things–ScienceWorld, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Robson Street, Grouse Mountain, Granville Island (that’s a reasonable top five, probably) etc. What would you suggest that’s a little offbeat or unusual. Off the top of my head:
- Commercial Drive (in particular, I dig Havana)
- Walk around the False Creek seawall from Sunset Beach at the foot of Denman to, say, Kits Beach. A long but rewarding walk, particularly if you plan to make it to Kits Beach for the sunset.
- Take a boat to see Vancouver’s harbour. Either the False Creek harbour ferries or the SeaBus.
- Grouse Mountain is fine, but if you’ve got a car, drive up Seymour Mountain and go hiking (if the weather has been dry). The Dog Mountain trail rewards you with a great view.
- I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary.
Dave may get some other ideas by checking out my Vancouver category. What have you got?