Cross-posted from Urban Vancouver.
After a rousing game of croquet, Mark (of Raincity fame) suggested that we start an informal, non-competitive weekly soccer game. This sounded like a great idea, and Rolly Polly Soccer was born.
To play, you must adhere to the following guidelines:
- You must suck at soccer. The more talentless, the better.
- This will be a non-competitive game. Anybody who exhibits any form of competitive spirit will receive a yellow card. Keep it up, it’s a red card and the Time Out Corner for you, Sport.
- You must have a history of non-athleticism. Former high school and university jocks are not welcome.
- Jocks of any kind are not welcome.
- No cleats are allowed.
- Both genders are welcome.
- Again, it’s freakin’ non-competitive.
Mark’s providing the ball and I’m locating something to serve as goalposts. Our first game will be this Sunday:
UPDATE: Whoops, that’s July, not August 24. This Sunday.
We’ll probably schedule games for future Sundays, should this one go well.
I can’t emphasize the non-competitive component enough. I’ve tried playing in a couple of ‘recreational’, beginner soccer leagues, and the testosterone was freakin’ ridiculous. Not only was everyone hyper-aggressive, but this balkanization went on, where the Italians loathed the Brazilians, who loathed the Croatians, and so on. It was truly absurd.