Via Boing Boing, we find Michael Geist’s endictment of the, er, Honourable Sam Bulte, MP for Parkdale-High Park. She previously authored a one-sided report about the state of Canadian copyright law, and Geist accused her of being in the Canadian recording industry’s pocket. She denied these allegations.
Now it turns out that the industry is throwing her a fundraiser at CAN $250/plate:
The sponsors of this event, to be held four days before the election?
- Doug Frith (President of Canadian Motion Pictures Distributors Association)
- Graham Henderson (CRIA President)
- Jackie Hushion (Executive Director of the Canadian Publishers Council)
- Danielle LaBoisserre (Executive Director of the Entertainment Software Alliance) and
- Stephen Stohn (DeGrassi producer).
Margo Timmons of the Cowboy Junkies is performing at the event (PDF). As Geist points out, Timmons is CRIA President Graham Henderson’s partner. This is interesting because I’ve heard Timmons quoted on more than one occasion saying that she supports file sharing. More importantly, I believe that her band permits bootlegging at their concerts.
UPDATE: Michael Geist has a follow-up post on just how dubious Ms. Bulte’s contributions look.