A decade ago, I worked at Tourism Victoria, right in the centre of downtown Victoria (this was roughly the view from our information centre). During my time there, I received all sorts of nutty questions.
I’d forgotten this, but I published a list of unusual tourist questions in Geist magazine. While looking for another old file, I stumbled upon my list. Here it is:
1. Where is the Moose Hall in Duncan?
2. With the earthquake in L.A., is it safe for me to visit Victoria?
3. Do you have fireworks on the fourth of July?
4. Do you have a list of all the asparagus farms in Saanich?
5. Are there any dog sled rental places around here?
6. How much do your totem poles grow each year?
7. Does this flag come in any other colours?
8. Where’s the tunnel to Seattle?
9. Upon seeing a clock with Roman numerals in the info centre – are those Canadian
10. I’m calling about this Kill-a-Whale thing. What do you do with them
after you kill them?
11. How far are the Butchart Gardens from Disney Land?
12. Is this toll-free number costing me anything?
13. What is the exact distance between Victoria and the Three-Valley Gap Ranch
14. Is this a live person?
15. Upon being quoted a price in Canadian funds – oh…how many dollars are in
16. Where can I find a cricket bat appropriate for a seven year old?
17. Can I get the number for Tourism Istanbul?
18. Where can I find Butchered Gardens? (they mean Butchart Gardens)
Believe it or not, these are all actual questions my colleagues and I received over a couple of summers.